Eating meat generally boosts body iron far more than eating nonheme iron.
Foods that boost iron absorption most are meat, iron supplements, and foods high in vitamin C, according to research at Tufts University.
To boost the amount of iron in your diet, try these foods:
- Red meat
- Egg yolks
- Dark, leafy greens (spinach, collards)
- Dried fruit (prunes, raisins)
- Iron-enriched cereals and grains (check the labels)
- Mollusks (oysters, clams, scallops)
- Turkey or chicken giblets
- Beans, lentils, chick peas and soybeans
And here's a tip: If you eat iron-rich foods along with foods that provide plenty of vitamin C, your body can better absorb the iron.